Holborn Glass Works Ltd. was incorporated in 1920, company number 1669121. Due to the economic depression of the 1920’s, the company was not a success2 and went into voluntary liquidation on 7th June 19223, after only two years. The creditors meeting was held on 16th June, 19224 and the company was finally wound up in September 19255.
The short lived glass manufacturing company, was set up by a group of local businessmen, in the old Edward Moore works on West Holborn, South Shields. The businessmen were Mr Charles Henry Blackwood, Mr Matthew Stainton and Mr Thomas Tindle Anderson.2
Mr Charles H. Blackwood (1859-1938) worked as an accountant from 70 King Street, South Shields6. The offices were situated above the ground-level shop7 and housed auctioneers and solicitors8, in addition to the accountants. The 1891 census lists Mr Blackwood’s occupation as an accountant to a glass manufacturer9, so it may be assumed that he had some knowledge of what the industry entailed. Twenty years later, the 1911 census lists Mr C. H. Blackwood as an accountant and a general merchant in coal, slag and glass 10. It is Mr C.H.Blackwood’s son, Mr Charles Stanley Blackwood, who was appointed liquidator when the company ceased trading3. The son also worked from 70 King Street, which is the address Holborn Glass Works Ltd. used for correspondence11.
Mr Matthew Stainton (1866-1931) was also an accountant. It is unclear what role he played within the business, although he was appointed a liquidator along with Mr C. S. Blackwood. In the London Gazette notice, Mr Stainton’s address is given as 18 Grainger-street West, Newcastle-upon-Tyne3. At the time of writing, this site is currently occupied by the Hampton by Hilton hotel, opposite Newcastle train station.
Mr Thomas Tindle Anderson (1858-1936) was the director of the building society, situated at 63 King Street, South Shields12, a ship owner13 and justice of the peace14. In the London Gazette entry, announcing the voluntary liquidation, Mr T. T. Anderson signs the notice in his capacity as chairman of Holborn Glass Works Ltd3.
Holborn Glass Works Ltd. is not mentioned in any of the core books on the subject of English pressed glass, nor are there are references to the company, catalogues or pattern books in the Tyne & Wear archives or the V&A archives. Due to the lack of pattern books and catalogues, it is not known what products were made by the company, or the colours of glass used during manufacturing. During the short time the company was in production only one design was registered, number 684000, on 6th July 192115. As far as I am aware, the amber coloured, pressed glass bowl below is the only surviving example of glassware from Holborn Glass Works Ltd.
- The National Archive; BT 31/25859/166912
- The Rise and Fall of the Glass Industry in South Shields by E.L.Thornborrow B.A.;
South Shields Archaeological and Historical Society; Papers Volume II, Number 4; August 1968
- The London Gazette, issue 32718; 9th June 1922; pages 4429-30
- The London Gazette, issue 32720; 16th June 1922; page 4581
- The London Gazette, issue 33081; 4th September 1925; page 5876
- Shields Daily News; 23rd August 1904; page 2
- Shields Daily News; 27th March, 1923; page 4
- Shields Daily News; 18th June, 1902; page 2
- 1891 England Census; Class: RG12; Piece: 4152; Folio: 14; Page: 21
- 1911 England Census; Class: RG14; Piece: 30299
- Pottery Gazette Diary & Trade Directory 1922;
Scott, Greenwood & Son; London; November 1921
- The Shields Daily News; 3rd January 1920
- 1891 England Census; Class: RG12; Piece: 4152; Folio: 84; Page: 59
- The Shields Daily News; 19th November 1906
- The Glass Association Registration Numbers 1908-1945
- Liquidators records. The National Archive; BT 34/4563/166912